How to come back after summer holiday
As we always say in our Nutrition department, good habits are not limited to a certain time period, and when we have acquired them they are useful all year round and stay always with us if we don’t neglect them. That is to say that even when we change routines and do different things we shall aim to maintain the bases that form a healthy diet and find time for physical activity.
However we know that that is easier said than done, and when summertime is over some of us struggle to come back to routine, and maybe as we have slacked on our healthy lifestyle during vacation we may need to tame those few extra pounds. Here are some quick tips to help achieve precisely that:
- It’s paramount to come back to our healthy habits as soon as possible. If you want to maintain or lower your weight do so in a sensible way, without putting yourself at risk and with the help and guidance of a nutritional expert.
- Don’t say “I’m in a diet”. Diets are temporary, good lifestyle routines are forever. Those choices have to be aimed at improving your health, and thus your weight and body composition. You should tailor your nutrition to your schedule, your tastes,… An important first step is, starting right now, tincrease the consumption of vegetables, fruits and grains for a notable improvement in the fitness department.
- Eat “real” food and AVOID industrial and processed comestibles. These types of groceries are everyday more present in our diets, and have a really high content of sugar, fat, salt… To eat healthily means to eat naturally, and so when possible we should choose the”real deal”. Here are some examples: eat a whole fruit instead of fruit juice, eat the vegetables fresh and not frozen, avoid industrial cereals and change them for whole grains, and when it comes to meat, try having a non-processed cut.
- Cook! This will allow you to be closer to your food, be more conciencious of what you are eating, get to know what groceries are in season, and inform ourselves in order to make the best possible decisions regarding what goes in our bodies.
- A good starting point is planning a menu, the shopping list and your meals through the week. Here we can help you! Keep in mind that the base for a good and healty diet is in the grocery store, and a good organization and system will make all the process that much easier!
- Plan your snacks (if you are used to snack) and breakfast. Here the important thing is not so much how many meals you have in a day or in what order, but that you choose healthy foods to make said mealks.
- Physical activity is together with a good nutrition the main pillar on which we will build our healthy lifestyle. Don’t make any excuses and start right now, as the sooner you get started, the sooner it will become a routine for you, and that is the end goal. We cannot expect change if we are not willing to change ourselves.
We hope that these tips make the return to everyday life easier. Remember that the team of dietitians and nutritionist at CPEN can help you achieve your goals in an efficient, easier and sensible manner.
But for the time being… wait no more!